Go Back   Practical Boating Forums, marine forums, sailing forums, boat repair forums, inland waterways forums > General > Newbies and Introductions

Newbies and Introductions If you are new this forum you can meet the other members in here and introduce yourself, let us know about what your boating interests are and any other hobbies for that matter.

Old 06-10-2008

Hi Alex and SueW, thanks for your comments. I've just checked here after a couple of weeks away with no computer at hand so sorry for the delay in responding. I'll have a look at your blog Alex and I know from your pics on another site I'll be picking your brains/knowledge.

I have seen the youtube Findhorn bay entries, and I'm embarrassed to say it...I still can't seem to upload although I'm using fotosizer etc. I will get a grip and sort it out though as I've dozens of good pics of the work so far etc.

I'd like to run one or two ideas past members too for the mast compression problem the yacht has had ....my solution may not be right, but tonight I'll post it.
Cheers, Den
Old 07-10-2008

Default Alex- your Telstar Mk2 trimaran

Hi Alex, could you tell me the headroom in the mk2...because I am about to lower mine in the Mk1 to give around 5'11 and I believe that the hulls are the same , but with the stringers are set lower for the floor boards to sit on.

Mine was 5'9 around the galley area and less as you go aft. If you know of any problems with doing this I'd appreciate any input off you or anyone else for that matter.

I've also altered the bow bunk area to give more space and make it less claustrophobic to sleep there. I intend altering the galley area too, making it smaller... along with altering the mast support design which will mean encroaching on the galley a little anyway. I'll detail the ideas later.

Any pics you have of your floor area would be appreciated too.

By the way I got an album of my project started yesterday and I'll be adding more pics later today,
Cheers,
Den
Old 09-10-2008

Default Telstar mk1 update

Hi, I've created 2 albums showing 56 pics so far. They cover picking her up at Pembroke docks and show her at Newquay on the Gannel River.

Then I've covered the leaking keel box slot and repair of the floor/hull section around the keel box and taking out the rotten bulkheads in preparation for the new cabin floor which will be lowered to about 5'10in headroom.

In the 2nd album I've covered the bow section where I've had to make a new foredeck and decided to modify deck fitting layout plus adding a hatch.

Work is in progress so I'll keep updating and tomorrow I'll open a third album to show other work.
Regards,
Den
Old 28-10-2008

Default Telstar - Mk 1 / Mk 11 floor and headroom

Den -

Sorry for the slow response - there are some pictures of the floors and floorboard on my blog (http://telstartrina.blogspot.com/, especially http://telstartrina.blogspot.com/2008/06/water.html, which gives a fairly clear view, although slightly scary ...).

I haven't seen a Mk1 floor, but I suspect that the main difference is that the webs are deeper. This may actually make the Mk 1 hull stronger - although possibly stronger than is necessary.

The webs in mine are certainly low.

The headroom is about 5'11" - as you predict. There's a step just inside the main companionway, and when I step down off that and stand up straight my head just touches the cabin top. Opposite the galley I've lowered the floor slightly, and I'm also right underneath the forehatch, so I have several inches of clearance there.

When are you posting your mast compression fix? I'm curious about alternative solutions ...
Old 16-11-2008

Default hi denboatmad.

I bought a mk1, KALUKI 11, last year, sail no. 83 1974, and am renovating
at Kippford on the Solway Firth.
The boat came from Exemouth, by road,and had been unused since around 1991.
Due to bad weather not much done this year, some rubbing down, painting,
and new windows cut ,but not fitted.
Soon having new standing rigging made, and removing behind the mast roller reefing due to bad reports about stress on mast.
The previous owners lost the struts for floats, so I will have to measure for
replacements.
Can't seem to find your pictures.
If you are interrested in discussing Telstar problems you can email me at
mikejn@talktalk.net
Old 16-11-2008

Ajax i loved your pictures and the videos. The final picture shows one beautiful boat.
Old 17-11-2008
Old Salt

welcome aboard mate and what a fab first post....there are plenty of boaty smart people on here and you will find anything you need to know here.....i am also in refit mode with my trawler......race ya!!!!!!!!!
Old 22-02-2009

Default Telstar 26 repairs

Hi all,

just found this thread. i am working on a telstar 26, not sure exactly which model, but think the MK2. all in all in good shape, but would like to take the centreboard out. the boat is on the trailer, can the board be taken out to the inside? or only at the bottom? would appreciate input, have just started to work on the boat,

greetings from the german baltic sea coast
Old 22-02-2009

Welcome to the site every on eis very helpful so i found out.
Old 23-02-2009

Thumbs up welcome.

hi den,
thanks for a brilliant read.
keep em coming and us all posted.