Go Back   Practical Boating Forums, marine forums, sailing forums, boat repair forums, inland waterways forums > Boat Maintenance and Projects > Boat Building & Projects

Boat Building & Projects Building a boat from scratch can be one of the most rewarding things a person can do, in this forum we discuss all aspects of boat building from drawing board to launch!

Old 08-04-2012

Cheers russ, I'll get some pictures of the split when I get back from holiday, it is about a foot long split in the port side lifting strake. I am going to repair her and then have her inspected as I don't want a repeat performance!! It was a real shame as it had been a great run up until that point, sun shining very small waves, cruising at a nice steady 24knts, felt like we could have sailed around the world!!
Old 16-04-2012

Evening all, it looks like more mischiefs days are numbered we have been in Mallorca since the near sinking! After 5 days away from her I went down with 101 plans in my head of how I was going to tackle the repair.
I decided to cut a section of the floor out to inspect the crack from the inside and it wasn't pretty!
I needed to get her off her trailer so that I could carry out the repair, whilst looking at where to chock her and how to get her off I noticed a big bow in the stbd side! Another weak spot!
I have taken the decision that I will not be happy that there will not be a repeat of the good Friday incident so have decided to scrap her I will salvage as many parts and re use them in my next boat and try to sell what I don't need.
I'm hoping that my absence from the water will only be a short 1 as I have hopefully secured myself a Sunseeker Mexico, going to see her on Sunday, if alls good I could be back in the water as early as the week after so fingers crossed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilthesparky For This Useful Post:
Puckoon (16-04-2012), robo (16-04-2012)
Old 17-04-2012

Sorry to hear that Neil

Still with the Sunseeker it might be a case of every cloud and silver linings.

Tim

PS I might be interested in some mech parts when you get round to stripping
Old 18-04-2012

Cheers tall tim, I'm hoping that the silver lining bit is right!
What bits are you looking for?
Old 19-04-2012
Demi-Loon Avec Plume and "S.M."(Honourary)

Default hello all, im starting a refurb

lovely looking boat the sunseeker mexico, good luck with the purchase tim.
Old 19-04-2012
veteran

Thanked 1,368 Times in 1,045 Posts

Scrapping the boat should not be an option, perhaps someone else wanting a boat has the necessary skills to effect a proper repair but no money to buy one, list it on fleabay along with an honest appraisal of the faults, you can have no regrets if you are forthright, any money received is better than none and you can take comfort in the fact that ,firstly the boat is still in one piece and secondly, another owner may get something they desire......with any money received buy a memento to put on the new one.
WARNING....Russ T is a hazard to himself let alone others so any advice he offers is to be treated with suspicion and acted upon at your own risk !!!!!....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ T Hinge For This Useful Post:
Aussie-mike (19-04-2012), jones (19-04-2012), Puckoon (19-04-2012), talltim (19-04-2012)
Old 19-04-2012
Middle Aged Skip Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ T Hinge View Post
Scrapping the boat should not be an option, perhaps someone else wanting a boat has the necessary skills to effect a proper repair but no money to buy one, list it on fleabay along with an honest appraisal of the faults, you can have no regrets if you are forthright, any money received is better than none and you can take comfort in the fact that ,firstly the boat is still in one piece and secondly, another owner may get something they desire......with any money received buy a memento to put on the new one.
great post and i agree 110%
Old 19-04-2012

Oh wow.........I've just spent the last 8 months referbing my Sunseeker Offshore. This has made me feel quite sick and I haven't put mine in the water yet.

Neil I am so sorry.
Old 19-04-2012

Hi tim1300r, I'm sure you'll be ok.
I think your right russ t, I will look to sell her on fleabay.
I need to take the gps, radio and aerial off to fit to the new one if the inspection goes well on Sunday and I was going to sell off the engine and hydraulic steering. I thought about taking as much off as I could as there have been a couple of S20's on fleabay that the new owners may be looking for parts for but will consider selling as a going concern.
My worry is that someone buys her and spends a lot of time and money trying to make sure she is sea worthy once again when perhaps they are trying to get boating on a limited budget just as I am.
She is a lovely boat and we have had a good year of getting to know her and it will be a shame to see her go!
Old 19-04-2012
veteran

Thanked 1,368 Times in 1,045 Posts

Just be honest with your description, let any prospective purchaser have all the facts, it will only be of interest to someone who is capable or employs such......

Be positive, you are giving the boat another lease...........
WARNING....Russ T is a hazard to himself let alone others so any advice he offers is to be treated with suspicion and acted upon at your own risk !!!!!....