Go Back   Practical Boating Forums, marine forums, sailing forums, boat repair forums, inland waterways forums > Boat Maintenance and Projects > Electrical

Electrical Not to be confused with electronics, this is where we talk about electrical matters

Old 22-03-2012

Default Mercury trim problem

Hi all, Not posted for a while, have been busy with a baby and also problem free until now.

1993 Mercury 75hp 2 stroke with a single ram pwer trim. Its been sat over the winter, went to check all is ok but the engine trimmed up but would go down. The motor runs both ways, ive bled the system. When it was on the boat it would come down VERY slowly when the engine was half way up. If it was up fully then it wouldnt move. Now its on my bench and it wont move either way.
The motor looks fine, brushes are ok. The rocker broke last year which i had welded and thats still ok. When i spin the allen key type rod in either direction you can see the valve open and shut.

Now im stuck. This is the most inportant fix ive had to do. I can afford to buy a new power trim or an engine. So if it has given up, then the boat will be up for sale :-(

Thanks in adnvance
Arron
Old 22-03-2012
Middle Aged Skip Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonzy View Post
Hi all, Not posted for a while, have been busy with a baby and also problem free until now.

1993 Mercury 75hp 2 stroke with a single ram pwer trim. Its been sat over the winter, went to check all is ok but the engine trimmed up but would go down. The motor runs both ways, ive bled the system. When it was on the boat it would come down VERY slowly when the engine was half way up. If it was up fully then it wouldnt move. Now its on my bench and it wont move either way.
The motor looks fine, brushes are ok. The rocker broke last year which i had welded and thats still ok. When i spin the allen key type rod in either direction you can see the valve open and shut.

Now im stuck. This is the most inportant fix ive had to do. I can afford to buy a new power trim or an engine. So if it has given up, then the boat will be up for sale :-(

Thanks in adnvance
Arron
make sure the vent is open on the fluid container...is yours an on board pump or integral in the saddle?? if you need to get the leg down to move the engine then loosen the return pipe from the ram but be very carefull as it can "slam" down so have the leg propped and be ready for fluid loss
Old 22-03-2012

My resovoir is part of the pump on the saddle. I've gone through the bleeding procedure 3 or 4 times
Old 23-03-2012
Old Salt

dont forget the motor is at rest in the up postion, and should be up when the fluid levei is checked
Old 30-03-2012

Yes it was in the upright position.
After further investigation i think one of the valves may be stuck, as it comes down slowly under load.
I'm going to give it a soak in petrol for a few hours to see if that works
Old 30-03-2012
Old Salt

petrol! wont that cook the seals?
Old 16-04-2012

Default Sorted!!

I removed the valve block to find the tiniest piece of seal stuck in one of the ball bearings. The broken part of the seal would've been too big to have come from the ram side.
I did check all the pump seals and they looked ok.
Fitted it all back together and she worked fine :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Shonzy For This Useful Post:
jones (16-04-2012)
Old 16-04-2012
Middle Aged Skip Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonzy View Post
I removed the valve block to find the tiniest piece of seal stuck in one of the ball bearings. The broken part of the seal would've been too big to have come from the ram side.
I did check all the pump seals and they looked ok.
Fitted it all back together and she worked fine :-)
nice one..cheers for reporting back
Old 16-04-2012
veteran

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,019 Posts

Ditto..............
WARNING....Russ T is a hazard to himself let alone others so any advice he offers is to be treated with suspicion and acted upon at your own risk !!!!!....