Go Back   Practical Boating Forums, marine forums, sailing forums, boat repair forums, inland waterways forums > Boat Maintenance and Projects > Adhesives and more

Adhesives and more A useful addition for purchasing some of the tools and general adhesives which are used in the maintainance and building of boats Etc.....in particular a sikaflex alternative which I can recommend..........RTH

Old 05-02-2011

Default Fixing the headlining

The 20 year old foam backed vinyl in my saloon has had its day, all the foam has now disintegrated and its sagging in places. The vinyl itself is sound, so it is a pity to bin it as its all shaped to fit.

I have two alternatives. a) Glue the vinyl back to the GRP (after a thorough clean of the surfaces of course) and not bother with the foam or b) glue some battens along the GRP, overlap the vinyl and cover the join with a decorative mahoganymoulding strip with brass screws, which could look nice.

If I go for the short cut option (a) has anybody a suggestion for a good impact adhesive I can use?
Old 05-02-2011
veteran

Thanked 1,369 Times in 1,046 Posts

THe foam backing has three purposes.......
A......it helps prevent condensation
B......soundproofing
C......it masks any flaws in the fitting

If you glue the vinyl on to the GRP it will look terrible due to the imperfections which will show up.
The material used in a lot of cars is foam backed and readily available in wide rolls and the Quality of finish is very pleasing to the eye......
WARNING....Russ T is a hazard to himself let alone others so any advice he offers is to be treated with suspicion and acted upon at your own risk !!!!!....
Old 06-02-2011

RTH has it!

I freely admit that when I was replacing the headlining in my Sunseeker it was the hardest job I tackled and I'm not thrilled with the results

I glued the foam to the liner after cutting out the required shape from a template. Once I'd let it dry I applied the glue to the foam, put it in place and stapled the overlap to the wooden battens in the cabin. Because of the weight I had to support it in key places or it pulled away. It was also difficult to get a tight fit around the hatch.

The foam is absorbent so it soaks up the adhesive. I suspect something like Evo Stik might be better than the stuff I used. Just watch out when working in enclosed spaces if you go for that.

I think the foam backed vinyl, although a tad more expensive, would be a much better way to go as RTH suggests.

As you can tell, it wasn't my favourite task during my refit.
Old 06-02-2011
Demi-Loon Avec Plume and "S.M."(Honourary)

Default fixing the headling

hello mate, when i fixed the foam backing to my seats, prior to putting the vinyl on, i just used the spray can adhesive, i should imagine that when doing a headlining, you could cut the foam to shape, then just spray a small area, press the foam home, then move onto the next bit. that way, you wouldnt have the foam falling all over your nut. also it doesnt soak into the foam, as said by deegee, but sticks like webbing to the grp. also, get someone to give you a hand, its one of dem der octopus jobs, more hands the better, or legs, or whatever.

Last edited by Puckoon; 06-02-2011 at 08:35. Reason: info
Old 06-02-2011

Thanks for that. Last month in PBO (DIY Section) somebody did the job I am wanting to do and it seemed like a good plan. The Vinyl is all in good nick, its just the foam backing that has rotted, so intend to use the original vinyl. In the PBO article they bought foam and after cutting to shape glued it to the inside of the hull, then glued the vinyl onto that, the results looked impressive.

Having foam under the vinyl is obviously a good idea if I can do it.

I was hoping somebody could recommend an actual 'brand' of glue for the job.
Old 06-02-2011
veteran

Thanked 1,369 Times in 1,046 Posts

I use this.............others are available.........

http://www.powerbond.co.uk/products/...y_adhesive.php
WARNING....Russ T is a hazard to himself let alone others so any advice he offers is to be treated with suspicion and acted upon at your own risk !!!!!....
Old 06-02-2011

Thanks Rusty, that is very helpful.

Old 30-08-2011

Default Headlining

Firstly a link I found on headlining
http://www.michaelbriant.com/new_page_68.htm
Also in relation to glue I have been advised (yes I am also ablut to undertake a DIY headling job) to avoid glue in a spray format as it is only a temporary fix and the first bout of warm weather causes moisture behind the vinyl and it all comes off again. The glue some I know of have advised is evostik but make sure to use the 2 part type that comes with a hardner as anything else will only have a short life span.
The other option I saw was in a friends boat where he removed the headlining in the front cabin and replaced it with an epoxy paint. Again using a 2 part paint with a hardner and got a pretty neat finish.

John.
The Following User Says Thank You to lartamax For This Useful Post:
jones (30-08-2011)