Go Back   Practical Boating Forums, marine forums, sailing forums, boat repair forums, inland waterways forums > Navigation and Boat Handling > Boat Handling Forum

Boat Handling Forum Whether you are pro or amatuer this forum is the place to talk about boat handling

Old 25-11-2008

Default How do you turn a long fin keel

Got a Rival 32 long fin keel. Going backwards she turns to starboard Ok but doesn't like to go to Port. Any suggestions on how to get her to turn that way when in reverse.
Old 25-11-2008
veteran Order of Advanced Poster.

Default which hand is your prop

hi there - which hand is your prop
on long keel craft the rotation of the prop (clockwise counter clockwise) has a very large influence on direction going whilst in reverse.
putting the rudder hard over can (???) sometimes counter the influence of this rotation.
Old 27-11-2008
Explorer

Try putting it in neutral whilst you make the turn, with the momentum of the boat keeping you going, then the rotation of the prop won't be against you.
Old 30-11-2008
Old Salt

all ways a problem. especially when in the confines of a marina.
expensive suggestion but a vetus bow thruster?they take out the stress of mooring and departing the berth.
other ideas:
-depending on your mooring, is it possible to keep a line on the pontoon until you are pointing the right way?
-try putting the engine in fwd gear a touch with full starboard hand down until the boat starts to point in the right direction.
- ask your marina if you could move to an easier mooring.most marinas are helpful in these matters( well, I am in mine)
Good luck.
Old 30-09-2009

To turn to port:-
Wheel hard to port.
Throttle forward hard for about 2 seconds and immediately throttle slow reverse.The boat will move forward slowly and turn to port.
The forward movement will be stopped but the boat will continue to turn.
As the turn slows, the throttle goes into hard forward for 1 second then back into slow reverse.
You should be able to turn a long keeler on it's length plus about 15%.

Practise in an open area for a while to get some idea of the level of thrust required for your boat.
Old 26-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
To turn to port:-
Wheel hard to port.
Throttle forward hard for about 2 seconds and immediately throttle slow reverse.The boat will move forward slowly and turn to port.
The forward movement will be stopped but the boat will continue to turn.
As the turn slows, the throttle goes into hard forward for 1 second then back into slow reverse.
You should be able to turn a long keeler on it's length plus about 15%.

Practise in an open area for a while to get some idea of the level of thrust required for your boat.
Hi Everything Eden has said, additionally keep the wheel hard to port throughout the manouevring part as it will have minimal effect when going astern especially on a long keeler, and it will give you something less to concern yourself with. I have seen people swinging the wheel / tiller backwards and forwards till they get in a stew.

Pagan Nev